We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

What are the SHANARRI wellbeing indicators?

The acronym SHANARRI is formed from the eight indicators of wellbeing that all people working with children will be looking for:

  • Safe
  • Healthy
  • Achieving
  • Nurtured
  • Active
  • Respected
  • Responsible
  • Included 

All of these things are necessary for a child or young person to reach their potential. They are used to record observations, events and concerns and as an aid to creating an individual plan for a child.

What is GIRFEC (Getting It Right For Every Child)?

GIRFEC is a Scotland wide programme of action to improve the wellbeing of all children and young people. It looks at a co-ordinated approach for sharing information, involving young people and their families and helping all agencies to agree and work together.

You can find out more on the following website: http://www.aberdeengettingitright.org.uk

My Personal Assistant can provide me with an alternative respite facility by taking my child to stay in their home. Is this an acceptable use of the direct payment?

Your child can receive respite services provided by the Personal Assistant in the child’s own home to allow you some time away from caring, without the need for them to register as a childminder.  If the Personal Assistant were to provide daytime / overnight care in their own home they would have to be registered as a childminder with the Care Inspectorate.  The Personal Assistant would also need the required insurances in place to safeguard the child.

What is the My World Triangle?

When working with children or young people, the My World Triangle is used to think about the whole world of the child or young person. It reminds everyone involved to think about the whole world of the child and not only one little part of it.

My child receives a service from the Integrated Children and Family Service. Will they receive the same support in Adult services?

When your child is old enough to make the transition to adult services they will be assessed to see if they are eligible to receive adult services and, if so, for what.

What does Transitions mean for my child?

If your child has a diagnosed leaning disability then the move from Children’s Services or school into Adult Services this is often known as the ‘Transitional Period’.

This transition might involve some changes to their care and support, for instance they may decide they want to live somewhere else or try new things.  They may want to keep things the same as they are now.  It is important that they and you know what support is available to them to help them plan their next steps.

You can find out more about this by clicking on the following link: Transitions.

Who should I contact if I have concerns regarding a child at risk of harm?

There is legislation about protecting children and it says that child protection is everyone's responsibility.  If you have concerns about someone then you can speak to your practitioner.  Further information can be found on Aberdeen City Council's website.

Back to top