We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

What are my responsibilities if I decide to manage my own budget?

Self-Directed Support is all about choice and control. You can decide how much control you would like to take on and how much you would like to delegate to another person or provider. Your practitioner will talk to you about your outcomes and jointly you will come to an agreement on the level of control and responsibility you feel comfortable with.

Should you decide to take Option 1 (direct payment) and employ your own staff you will have specific duties to carry out as an employer.  Further information can be found in the Becoming an Employer guide.

What records am I expected to keep?

You will be required to keep financial records of all expenditure from your budget and bank account. This includes invoices, receipts (for expenses over £10), tax and NI and pension evidence and bank statements.  The initial financial audit of your bank account will take place after the first 3 months then at 6 monthly periods after that.

What happens if I am having difficulties providing the financial evidence required?

You should contact your practitioner in the first instance to make them aware of any difficulties and discuss this with them. There are support and advice agencies available which can provide support in areas relating to managing your budget and bank account.

Who should I contact if I have concerns regarding an adult at risk of harm?

There is legislation about supporting and protecting adults at risk of harm.  If you have concerns about someone then you should speak with your practitioner.

Who are adults at risk of harm?  People aged 16 and over who are unable to protect themselves from harm and are more vulnerable because of disability, mental disorder, illness, physical or mental infirmity.  More information on this can be found here.

Back to top